The majority of Longmont dentists can all agree on one thing, the importance of fluoride for our teeth. This is because fluoride keeps our teeth healthy, strong and cavity free. From adults to children, fluoride treatment is recommended as a preventative measure. Especially patients with the following conditions:
- Gum RecessionIf your gums are receding or have pulled away from your teeth, a fluoride treatment may be necessary. This is because, bacteria have more room to grow when the tooth roots are exposed, and in turn, can accelerate tooth decay.
- Orthodontic CareIf you wear braces or other orthodontic appliances a fluoride treatment can be beneficial. This is because bacteria grow easier and accumulate on the teeth, which can lead to cavity formation.
- Diseases and MedicationIf you are someone with a disease that causes dry mouth or if you are someone who takes medication that causes dry mouth, your Longmont dentist may recommend this. This is because your saliva neutralizes the acids in your mouth and eliminates food particles. Without adequate saliva production in the mouth, you are more susceptible to tooth decay.Lets Checkout How Fluoride Can Help Us To Keep Oral Hygiene
- Fluoride Repairs & Prevents Tooth Decay
When our tooth enamel breaks down it can cause cavities over time. If you are wondering what the culprit behind tooth enamel destruction is, the answer is bacteria. Bacteria produce acids that permeate into our tooth enamel. The good news is, worn down tooth enamel can be built back up again with fluoride. Strengthening the enamel will prevent cavity formation and further complications.Yes, that’s right you have the power to prevent tooth decay. In fact, the prevention of tooth decay is far more critical than the cure. Fluoride treatment will ensure your teeth are in the best shape possible.
- Fluoride is Available in Many Different Forms
Did you know that fluoride was introduced into toothpaste in the 1960s? Now, accessing fluoride is simple. This is because it is made available to you in a variety of forms. A simple yet effective way is through fluoridated toothpaste and mouth rinses. Also, Longmont dental clinics offer fluoride application in the following forms, gel, varnish, and foam. Receiving a fluoride treatment from a Longmont dentist at least once a year is important as It contains a higher fluoride concentration. Which does not compare to the lower fluoride concentration in most toothpaste and mouth rinse.
- Fluoride Treatment is Important at Any Age
A common belief is that fluoride treatment is only beneficial for children. This is because fluoride is an imperative part of the development of permanent teeth. However, fluoride treatment is still necessary for adults. Fluoride treatment is proven to fight against health complications regardless of the patient’s age. If you are someone with periodic cavities, gum disease, tooth decay or other dental concerns, your Longmont dentist may suggest regular fluoride treatments during your biannual dental cleaning appointments.
Share this Article